Once the baby of the family; a job now taken over by the new CLA-Class, Mercedes hot new small sedan; The Mercedes-Benz C Class now goes back into its role as the baby S Class, which it something that it always have been; an a term that any automobile on the road today would love to have. The 2015 C Class now officially looks like a baby S Class looking almost exactly the same. The design isn’t at all revolutionary, however beautiful, it fit in the latest design language of Mercedes which officially started with the new CLA Class. The C Class currently Mercedes best-selling vehicle, look to become more luxurious in a class that is crazy about performance; and out luxuryfied the competition, sure current competition set out to offers a new range of “Fun to Drive vehicle” to put them ahead of the leaders the 3 Series and the C Class. Mercedes look to go a different route offering many new features in the compact luxury department.
Mercedes-Benz best-selling ride is launching with a lighter weight body thanks to new technology from MB, known as intelligent lightweight design concept, which boating weight savings of up to 220lbs. The new C Class also is more aerodynamic, and launching with new efficient engine, The C Class launching with new engines a I4 in-line turbocharged four-cylinder and the base top engine from last generation was updated with new turbochargers, which means the 3.0 V6 engine now produce up to 329 horsepower; a 23 horsepower increase. Following in bigger brother footsteps; the new C Class will feature numerous safety technology and new option currently only available on upper level cars and trims. New assistance systems offer safety of the highest standard, while a new suspension, optionally air-sprung, provides for exemplary ride and driving comfort as well as nimble and agile handling. (SEE BELOW FOR A FULL LIST OF ALL THE SAFETY FEATURES BEING OFFER IN THE NEW C CLASS)
The suspension on the new C-Class is a totally new development. It provides for nimble and agile handling that makes driving a great pleasure on winding roads while also offering the highest standard of ride comfort in the segment.
The U.S. market launches with two C-Class models: C300 4MATIC with a 2.0L turbocharged direct-injection in-line four-cylinder engine with preliminary power figures of 235 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and a C400 4MATIC with a 3.0L turbocharged direct-injection V6 at 329 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque. All link to Mercedes 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission. The 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission, which provide smooth automatic gear shifting and has undergone further development at Mercedes-Benz in the interests of enhanced environment-friendliness and driving pleasure. The 4MATIC permanent all-wheel-drive system serves to improve traction and driving stability in the C-Class, too, while additionally underscoring the vehicle’s refined sportiness.
Mercedes-Benz top guns had a few words to say about the new C CLass the Board of Management Professor Dr. Thomas Weber and Executive Vice President of sales Ola Kallenious.
“Mercedes at its best – that’s the new C-Class, which sets new standards for the mid-range segment on many fronts,”
“It is characterised by an emotional yet clear design which is continued in the high-quality and modern interior. Its efficient and high-performance engineering provides the basis for a high standard of driving enjoyment.”
says Prof. Dr Thomas Weber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG.
Vice President of Sales and Marketing followed up with the following comments:
“The new C-Class embodies Mercedes-Benz’s claim ‘The best or nothing’ in uncompromising style. This is immediately apparent when encountering our new Saloon for the first time, as it creates the impression that one is sitting in a higher class of automobile. I am sure that our customers will be delighted by the high-class appeal and agility of the new C-Class.”
Following a continuous trend set by BMW with its benchmarked 3 Series. The new C Class hit a growth spurt gaining 3 inch increase in the wheelbase (112 inches) compared with the previous model, the vehicle is 3.7 inches longer (184 inches) and 1.6 inches wider (71 inches). The resultant additional space benefits first and foremost the rear passengers, who now travel in even greater comfort. The new C-Class also increases its trunk capacity to 17 cubic feet. BMW grow its new 3 Series along with Audi’s A4 Sedan. Lexus also grow it IS luxury compact sedan; however in a trend where these cars in seeing growth in length; there is also another trend; adding lower end FWD sedan; in place where these car once stoop.
My thing is that these current “Mid Level”cars;like new the Cadillac ATS which won car of the year last year is lacking in luxury; as is the new CTS, which wont Motor Trend car of the year and is a finalist for North American car of the year! many praised it for the performance, but many hasn’t written about the luxury because it doesn’t offer anything close as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The Lexus IS is another story, Lexus was consider boring because they didn’t offer a “Fun to drive car” and producing High-End FWD cars; such as the hot selling RX CUV and the ES sedan. While these magazine like Car&Driver and especially Motor Trend, was complaining how boring the car is complain how its FWD and not a real drivers car! Lexus ran straight to the bank with pocket of cash along with ending up being the number one Luxury automobile, for 11 consecutive years, without that devastated earthquake; tsunami that ended up wiping out more than 50% (half) of Lexus inventory. Lexus ended up using that to changed the game introducing the spindle grille and more performance cars, such as the IS GS LFA … etc. Now we see most European automakers adding lower end cars that features FWD Sedan like the new CLA and A3 Sedan and BMW upcoming Active Tourer. Luxury automakers FWD are always hot sellers and might be the future.
The C Class List of new safety features:
• DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist is a semi-automatic traffic jam assistant which at speeds under 37 mph is able to follow the vehicle ahead even where lane markings are unclear or completely lacking, thus providing a safe and convenient means of following the flow of traffic.
• The BAS PLUS Brake Assist System can now also detect crossing traffic and boost the braking force if the driver fails to apply the brakes sufficiently; the PRE-SAFE® Brake can detect stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, brake automatically if the driver fails to react, thus preventing accidents up to 31 mph and mitigating the severity of collisions at speeds of up to 45 mph. In flowing traffic the PRE-SAFE® Brake provides assistance according to the same mode of operation throughout the speed range from 4 to 124 mph.
• Enhanced Active Lane Keeping Assist can now also prevent the vehicle from unintentionally drifting out of lane when broken lane markings apply and a risk of a collision arises, e.g. as a result of vehicles overtaking at high-speed, parallel traffic or even oncoming traffic, by applying the brakes on one side.
• Active Parking Assist, which enables automated parking with active steering and brake intervention in both parallel and end-on parking spaces,
• a 360° camera, which is able to show the vehicle and its surroundings from various perspectives, including a virtual bird’s-eye view,
• Traffic Sign Assist with Wrong-Way Alert, which warns of speed limits and alerts the driver to no-overtaking zones and no-entry signs,
• Pelvis bags for driver and front passenger
• a newly developed window bag
• side bags for the outer rear seats
• a knee bag for the driver
SMADE|MEDIA Press Volt:
The Best of the C Class[office src=”https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=2330382C7E049094&resid=2330382C7E049094%21323&authkey=APTLw5PsB7qPg8Q&em=2″ width=”600″ height=”688″]
photos by Daimler Group
SMADEMEDIA.com Great Reads